GrowUp Urban Farms
- Working hours per week: 5 days per week, every other week on 7 day call out.
- Reports to Tom Webster, COO and Co-Founder
- Salary: £28,000 – £35,000 – includes Base Salary & Share Options
- Appointment period: Permanent
- Location: Unit 84, London Industrial Park, Roding Road, London, E6 6LS
The Company and The Role
GrowUp Urban Farms is an award-winning urban farming start-up. We use aquaponics and vertical farming to build sustainable farms in cities, reducing the environmental impact of feeding people in cities, whilst creating jobs and training opportunities. We’re looking for a new member to join the GrowUp Team as our Farm Manager, handling the day-to-day operations on the farm including production planning, fault fixing and farm team management.
We’re looking for someone who is passionate about growing food sustainably in cities. Our Ideal candidate will have a strong background in horticulture, with both relevant experience and qualifications and be looking to apply their skills and experience in a new environment. Great people skills are an important part of the role – we’re a small team and you’ll be responsible for ensuring all farm staff are working effectively for both supervised and unsupervised tasks. You will be involved in both the plant and fish elements of the farm, and although it will not be essential to have experience in fish farming, ideal candidates should be will be willing learn and get stuck in.
We are looking for someone who will join the team and grow with us, it is important that they share our company values and are prepared to work hard to deliver a high standard of work. Our ideal candidate will be looking forward to learning about how our business works and getting involved in the detail, so that you can be part of moving the business to the next stage. Above all you need to be a team player – our team is our most important asset and you’ll be a vital part of it.
Responsibilities will include:
- Planning of all seeding and harvesting activities;
- Managing all on-farm activities;
- Stock control;
- Ensuring that all farm activities are carried out in line with Standard Operating Procedures and health and safety requirements;
- Trialling of new products;
- Environmental control system management;
- Pest control;
- Fish Farm Management;
- Liaising with Sales staff to make sure they know what produce is going to be available and when;
- Providing regular Farm Operations reports to the management team;
- Staff Training;
- Conducting Farm Tours;
- Quarterly reporting back to the Board of Directors on progress and targets.
Experience and Qualifications
- Experience in commercial horticulture
- Management of a small team
- Horticultural Degree (BSc, MSc)
- FACTS (horticulture) and BASIS or similar
- Experience with Leafy salads, herbs and microgreens
Skills and qualities we’re looking for:
- To understand how to grow great produce;
- Need to be hands-on and confident with practical problem solving – sometimes things go wrong and we need to be sure that you can fix them (within reason);
- The ability to define your priorities and stick to them when it comes to pursuing opportunities;
- Excellent time management capabilities;
- Great communication skills – its crucial you can communicate well with the team, especially the team on the farm floor;
- A good working knowledge of Microsoft Excel
- A commitment to the values and ethos of our business;
- Co-operation and collaboration wherever its needed;
It would help if you love food and sustainability as much as we do, if you’re happy to spend your time on an Industrial Estate in East London and understand that as a start-up we’re still learning and you will be too. You will need to have a clean UK driving licence.
To apply, please send a cover letter and CV to email@example.com.