The main responsibility of the Project Manager is to coordinate and implement the freshwater programme activities of WWF Hungary along river Tisza and contribute to the preparation and implementation of related projects.
The Freshwater programme along Tisza river aims to maintain and develop riverine ecosystems and its ecosystem services by proper habitat and water management, to improve the ecological and hydromorphological status of the river with special attention on river deregulation measures, also to prevent the water regime from further harmful infrastructure developments, especially hydropower plants. The position supports the implementation of Water Framework Directive measures and raising awareness around the value of rivers with communication.
Furthermore this position will contribute to WWF’s Freshwater programme in Hungary. This includes development and management of various projects, advocacy, communication and expertise for a water resilient society and protecting freshwater ecosystems of the Danube catchment.
The Tisza Project Manager reports to WWF Hungary’s Conservation Manager and is based in Budapest.
Your duties will include:
- Major responsibilities under the Tisza project
- develop and represent the position of WWF Hungary regarding the improvement of water management and water-related investments, including identification of key biodiversity areas, proposal for ecological safeguards and biomonitoring;
- identify potential restoration and/or pilot sites for the preservation of the riverine ecosystems and demonstration of ecosystem services;
- establish a network with local communities and stakeholders, identify, demonstrate and promote the socio-economic benefits of river Tisza;
- support the proper implementation of the Water Framework Directive along the Tisza, advocate and influence river basin management plans in order to achive a better status of Tisza’s water bodies;
- advocate and lobby against harmful infrastructure developments and water regulation measures;
- manage relevant national and international projects including technical implementation, partnership management, administration and reporting;
- represent WWF Hungary and its conservation position at various meetings, conferences, public events and in media.
- Further responsibilities under WWF Hungary’s Freshwater program
- contribute to policy work at national and EU level for improving the Water Legislation and harmonising WFD with other relevant directives (Flood Dir., Bird & Habitat Dir.);
- contribute to the development and implementation of freshwater communication;
- contribute with expertise to the management of individual legal cases against harmful projects along Hungarian rivers and water bodies;
- develop project proposals with international partners and search proactively for funding opportunities.
We expect from you:
- Corresponding university degree or post-graduate degree (nature/environmental sciences or related technical/engineering fields).
- Expertise in the field of freshwater, water management and policy, including nature based adaptation solutions.
- At least 3 years of relevant work experience.
- General understanding of environmental challenges and the related socio-economic aspects, system-like thinking.
- Expertise in development and implementation of field or communication projects along large rivers is an asset.
- Experience in national implementation of EU water policy, development and implementation of EU environmental projects is an asset.
- Experience in public campaigning is an asset.
- Excellent networking and interpersonal skills, ability to work in a multi-cultural environment with diverse stakeholders.
- Fluent Hungarian and English.
- Proactive attitude; self-starter, quick learner and good team player.
- Ability to work with the national and international WWF team, as well as independently.
- Project management skills: timely implementation, ability to plan and coordinate diverse parallel activities with several participants, accurate administration.
- Passion and commitment to WWF’s environmental mission.
We are offering:
- Opportunity to make a difference – for Hungary and for WWF;
- Challenging and fulfilling activities in one of Europe’s most exciting eco-regions as part of the largest conservation NGO network of the world;
- Friendly and highly professional working atmosphere in an international context and a great learning environment;
- Varying tasks and independent work style;
- A pleasant working atmosphere and great learning environment;
- A competitive salary according to NGO standards.
If you are interested in joining the global WWF family, email your application documents including your motivation letter and CV (in English) to email@example.com
Application deadline: 14.10.2018