MANAGEMENT AND CONSERVATION OF MARINE AND INLAND FISHERY RESOURCES
Job Posting : 25/Jun/2018
Closure Date: 01/Jan/2019, 12:59:00 AM (Organizational Unit: FIAF)
Job Type: Non-staff opportunities
Type of Requisition: Consultant / PSA (Personal Services Agreement)
Grade Level: N/A
Primary Location: Italy-Rome
Post Number: N/A
CCOG Code: N/A
The Fisheries and Aquaculture Department promotes policies and strategies aiming at the sustainable and responsible management and development of fisheries and aquaculture in inland and marine waters. For this purpose, the Department provides discussion fora, information, legal and policy frameworks, codes and guidelines, options for strategies, scientific advice, and training material, among others. The Marine and Inland Fisheries Branch (FIAF) is responsible for the assessment and monitoring of the world fishery resources and all programmes and activities related to assessment, management and conservation of fishery resources, including biodiversity, threatened species, vulnerable habitats, and ecosystem concerns in fisheries management through the ecosystem approach to fisheries. The Branch provides information, advice and technical assistance to FAO Members and Regional Fisheries Bodies in support of the sustainable management of marine and inland fisheries, including the development and implementation of management plans, in accordance with modern assessment and management standards, international agreements, and best practices for responsible fisheries; monitors the global status and trends of fish stocks; provides information, advice and technical assistance to FAO Members on reducing the impact of fisheries and on mitigation and adaptations measures to climate change, in the context of the contribution of capture fisheries to food and nutrition security and livelihoods globally; ensures cooperation and coordination with other institutions and programmes in and outside FAO, both governmental and non-governmental, concerned with responsible fisheries.
International consultants and PSAs represent an important source of expertise for FAO, making their specialist contributions towards the achievement of the Organization’s strategic objectives indispensable. For FAO to be able to attract and employ the best possible experts in the wide range of technical areas of its mandate, a competitive selection process has been introduced. This process is intended to create a pool of candidates which can be called upon when their expertise is required, ensuring a transparent and rigorous selection process.
The Consultants will work under the overall supervision of the Branch Head of FIAF and the direct supervision of a relevant Officer of FIAF.
The Consultant or PSA will work as part of a closely collaborating team to conduct activities, research and analysis on issues related to the management and conservation of marine and inland fishery resources and more in detail in one or more of the following areas of FIAF’s work:
- Assessment and monitoring of the state of wild fishery resources and elaboration of resource management advice;
- Promotion of sustainable use and conservation of fishery resources, including mainstreaming biodiversity and ecosystem concerns in fisheries management, with special attention to threatened species and vulnerable habitats;
- Application and provision of guidance on the development and implementation of the Ecosystem Approach to Fisheries (EAF);
- Implementation of capacity-development activities to support developing countries in fisheries research and management including carrying out scientific research surveys, training courses, and developing capacity development materials such as courses, technical papers, technical guidelines and tools to facilitate the identification of marine organisms of actual and potential interest to fisheries, assess fish stocks and fisheries, and support decision-making in fisheries management;
- Scientific and technical evaluation of proposals for including, transferring or delisting commercially-exploited aquatic species in the CITES Appendices.
Tasks and responsibilities
The detailed tasks and responsibilities of each selected Consultant or PSA will be defined in the Terms of Reference for the specific assignment.
In general, depending on the specific assignment, designated tasks and responsibilities will normally include a number of the following elements:
- Project formulation or evaluation in accordance with FAO’s Strategic Framework and the FAO project cycle.
- Coordination and implementation of assigned activities in accordance with FAO rules and procedures.
- Carry out field missions in line with the assignment.
- Organization and participation in internal and external events in support of the delivery of FIAF’s programme of work, including consultation, training, capacity building and technical assistance.
- Contribution to the provision of substantive technical inputs to relevant studies, publications and analyses, knowledge products and dissemination materials related to FIAF’s areas of work, including guidelines, manuals, research papers, capacity development and training materials
- Collection, management and analysis of data to be used to inform and guide the Branch’s technical work.
- Collaboration with relevant UN agencies, intergovernmental organizations, and non-governmental organizations, in the areas of FIAF’s programme of work, as well areas of mutually beneficial interest to member countries.
- Representing FIAF at internal and external meetings, particularly those related to the development and implementation of FIAF’s activities.
- Establish and manage relations with relevant institutions, networks and platforms that could help FAO leverage its messages and advance global dialogue on various issues related to trade in fish and fishery products, helping the Organization to promote enhanced global food security and nutrition.
- Any other duties related to FIAF’s areas of work.
- Advanced university degree (Consultants) / University degree (PSA subscribers) in Biology, Fisheries Science, Marine Ecology or closely related disciplines
- Relevant experience in the field of management and conservation of marine and inland fishery resources and preferably in one or more areas of FIAF’s work:
- For PSA or base-level consultants (C level): one to four years of relevant experience
- For middle-level consultants (B level): at least five years of relevant experience
- For senior level consultants (A level): at least 12 years of relevant experience
Working knowledge of English, French or Spanish and limited knowledge of one of the other two or Arabic, Chinese, Russian. For PSA only working knowledge of one of the above mentioned language is required.
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement