MANAGEMENT AND CONSERVATION OF MARINE AND INLAND FISHERY RESOURCES
Job Posting : 25/Jun/2018
Closure Date: 01/Jan/2019, 12:59:00 AM (Organizational Unit: FIAF)
Job Type: Non-staff opportunities
Primary Location: Italy-Rome
- Assessment and monitoring of the state of wild fishery resources and elaboration of resource management advice;
- Promotion of sustainable use and conservation of fishery resources, including mainstreaming biodiversity and ecosystem concerns in fisheries management, with special attention to threatened species and vulnerable habitats;
- Application and provision of guidance on the development and implementation of the Ecosystem Approach to Fisheries (EAF);
- Implementation of capacity-development activities to support developing countries in fisheries research and management including carrying out scientific research surveys, training courses, and developing capacity development materials such as courses, technical papers, technical guidelines and tools to facilitate the identification of marine organisms of actual and potential interest to fisheries, assess fish stocks and fisheries, and support decision-making in fisheries management;
- Scientific and technical evaluation of proposals for including, transferring or delisting commercially-exploited aquatic species in the CITES Appendices.
- Project formulation or evaluation in accordance with FAO’s Strategic Framework and the FAO project cycle.
- Coordination and implementation of assigned activities in accordance with FAO rules and procedures.
- Carry out field missions in line with the assignment.
- Organization and participation in internal and external events in support of the delivery of FIAF’s programme of work, including consultation, training, capacity building and technical assistance.
- Contribution to the provision of substantive technical inputs to relevant studies, publications and analyses, knowledge products and dissemination materials related to FIAF’s areas of work, including guidelines, manuals, research papers, capacity development and training materials
- Collection, management and analysis of data to be used to inform and guide the Branch’s technical work.
- Collaboration with relevant UN agencies, intergovernmental organizations, and non-governmental organizations, in the areas of FIAF’s programme of work, as well areas of mutually beneficial interest to member countries.
- Representing FIAF at internal and external meetings, particularly those related to the development and implementation of FIAF’s activities.
- Establish and manage relations with relevant institutions, networks and platforms that could help FAO leverage its messages and advance global dialogue on various issues related to trade in fish and fishery products, helping the Organization to promote enhanced global food security and nutrition.
- Any other duties related to FIAF’s areas of work.
- Advanced university degree (Consultants) / University degree (PSA subscribers) in Biology, Fisheries Science, Marine Ecology or closely related disciplines
- Relevant experience in the field of management and conservation of marine and inland fishery resources and preferably in one or more areas of FIAF’s work:
- For PSA or base-level consultants (C level): one to four years of relevant experience
- For middle-level consultants (B level): at least five years of relevant experience
- For senior level consultants (A level): at least 12 years of relevant experience
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement