The Regional Office for Europe and Central Asia (REU) is responsible for leading FAO’s response to regional priorities for food security, agriculture, forestry and rural development through the identification, planning and implementation of FAO’s priority activities in the region. REU also advises on the incorporation of regional priorities into the Organization’s Programme of Work and Budget and implements approved programmes and projects in the region and monitors the level of programme implementation.
International Consultants and Personal Service Providers (PSAs) represent an important source of expertise for FAO in the achievement of the Organization’s strategic objectives and regional initiatives.
The selected applicant will work on the project TCP/RER/3801 that aims to address the barriers of appropriate pest management in forests of Belarus and Ukraine.
The objective will be achieved through (i) Revision of national surveillance and monitoring systems to develop functional early warning systems, (ii) Development and validation of national contingency plans for forest pest outbreaks with regional and district forest managers, (iii) Development of guidelines developed for improving resilience of forest stands in relation to forest health and enhancing drought mitigation, and (iv) Strengthening national capacities on communication and regional coordination in relation to forest health issues The project strategy builds on the close engagement of key stakeholders to ensure sustainability of the results.
The specialist will work under the overall supervision of the Assistant Director General / Regional Representative for Europe and Central Asia (REU), the direct technical supervision of the Forestry Officer (REU) and in close coordination with National Project Coordinator as well as other international and national experts as appropriate.
The International Consultant or PSA SBS will contribute to the implementation of the project “Strengthening the resilience of pine forests to bark beetle outbreaks and associated dieback” through formulation of work plan, reporting, capacity development on Geographic Information Systems (GIS) application to, preparation of technical papers, preparation of guidelines and recommendations.
Tasks And Responsibilities
The International Consultant or PSA SBS will work closely with FAO staff to coordinate the following activities related to developing action plans at regional, district and forest management unit levels for improved preparedness and swift responding to pest out breaks:
- Design and carry out a study on the current status of the national surveillance and monitoring systems, assist in organization of the inception workshops;
- Identify different (active and passive) surveillance techniques using GIS systems for each region and accordingly provide recommendations on the development of permanent monitoring system at local levels. Assist in the selection of demonstration plots for training purposes.
- Develop data collection protocols and templates for the envisaged early warning system;
- Assist in the organization of two national workshops to validate activities on monitoring and early warning system, complete a proposal for surveillance and monitoring system and updated data collection protocols necessary for the establishment of an early warning system.
- Contribute to the study to assess institutional capacities for responding to bark beetle attacks and identify recommendations for regional, district and forest management unit levels;
- Assist national and international consultants in developing national contingency plan related to the GIS implications;
- Contribute to the implementation of the training-of-trainers program for regional forest practitioners;
- Assist in identifying study tour options in countries with similar challenges and support the organizational arrangements of the study tours;
- Support the implementation of regional workshop to facilitate better information exchange on pest out breaks focusing on bark beetle outbreaks and associated dieback in the region;
- Contribute to the implementation of the project’s final validation workshop, and
- Perform other related duties as and when required.
International Consultants Only
- Collaborate with relevant UN agencies, intergovernmental organizations, and non-governmental organizations in the areas of REUs work programme related to forestry;
- Represent REU at internal and external meetings, particularly those related to the work programme of the forestry team.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Advanced university degree / university degree in GIS, forest mapping using remote sensing techniques;
- At least ten years of experience in GIS, remote Sensing and mapping related activities in forestry or related fields;
- Working knowledge of English and limited knowledge of one of the other FAO languages (French, Spanish, Arabic, Chinese, Russian). In the case of PSA.SBS, working knowledge of English is sufficient.
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus;
- Building Effective Relationships;
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement.
- Work experience in more than one location or area of work;
- Good interpersonal communications skills;
- Extent and relevance of experience in using GIS in forestry;
- Extent and relevance of experience in project / program management; and
- Experience in using GIS in forestry;
- Experience in working in international environment;
- Experience in project management;
- Relevant experience with UN and/or other international organizations;
- Good report writing skills.
- Knowledge of Russian is an asset.
- Working experience in Europe and Central Asia region;
Call For Expressions Of Interest – Vacancy Announcement
15/Jul/2020, 2:59:00 PM
Type of Requisition
Consultant / PSA (Personal Services Agreement)
Up to 11 months
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender and nationality
People with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply
All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and/or duty stations d epending on the evolving needs of the Organization
- Non-profit Organization Management
- Human Resources
- Government Administration
- Information Technology